WHOLESALE HEATING, AIR CONDITIONING, REFRIGERATION AND CONTROLS
Refrigeration Sales Corporation (RSC) was founded by Warren Wightman Farr Sr. in 1945, shortly after World War II. Business operations included service and repair of refrigeration equipment, as well as the retail sales of various refrigeration appliances.
In 1949, Warren Sr. was approached by Willis Carrier (the recognized founder of air conditioning) to convert the business to pure wholesale of heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration products. While wholesale was a relatively new endeavor, and it would mean getting out of the familiar contracting business, Warren Sr. decided to take the risk and make the change to his business operations. To reduce this risk, he negotiated exclusive representation of the Carrier product line for 23 northeastern Ohio counties including Cleveland, Akron, Canton and Youngstown areas.
In 1975, when Warren Sr. retired, Warren Farr Jr. (Hap) assumed family leadership of the company. Branch stores were added to diversify RSC sales away from HVAC equipment alone. In the mid to late 1980's RSC acquired Bryant Northern Ohio Distributorship and expanded the Carrier Franchise into Columbus and the mid Ohio market.
In 2000, Warren Farr III, grandson of founder Warren Farr Sr., was appointed President of RSC. In 2009 he assumed the role of CEO and Thomas East was named President. In 2010 RSC began its expansion into the Pennsylvania market with the acquisition of its Pittsburgh location, 1 year later the Cranberry location was also acquired.
2010 marked the 65th anniversary of WholeService at Refrigeration Sales Corporation. We are still primarily a wholesaler, but we define our mission as much more than just providing the right inventory at wholesale prices. RSC today is still dedicated to our customers. As a WholeServer, all of us are focused on the very best service delivered with the highest efficiencies for the benefit of customers, employees, and stockholders. In a world that has seen massive change since the early 1920's, we at Refrigeration Sales Corporation still understand the value of "standards, business ethics, and workmanship that will keep the level of refrigeration contracting at the highest plane."
13 Locations to Serve you Better - WE'VE GOT IT!
- 1945: RSC Founded
- 1964: Cleveland, Ohio
- 1966: Akron, Ohio
- 1967: Youngstown, Ohio
- 1983: Elyria, Ohio
- 1986: Mentor, Ohio
- 1986: Canton, Ohio
- 1987: Bryant Northern Ohio
- 1989: Columbus, Ohio
- 1995: Cleveland Distribution Center
- 2000: Sandusky, Ohio
- 2004: Valley View (HQ & Distribution Service Center)
- 2008: Mansfield, Ohio
- 2009: Toledo, Ohio
- 2010: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 2011: Cranberry, Pennsylvania
Our Mission and Vision
13 Locations to Better Serve You.WE'VE GOT IT!
WholeService: It is our mission to proudly create world-class comfort, dependability, and efficiency by WholeServing the highest quality environmental control systems and services.
WholeServer's Guiding Principles
- Owner's Advocate
Every new job that results in a more comfortable, more dependable, or more efficient environmental system is a reason to be proud. To create these opportunities, we are committed to being the owner's advocate. We understand that it is the owner's hard-earned dollar that will ultimately determine the nature of our future success.
- Customer Obsession
We will let no customer problem go undetected or unresolved. Each of us will take ownership for our actions and created customer responsiveness unequaled by our competition. We believe that it is not the customer's responsibility to notify us of problems, but rather our responsibility to anticipate them. We will correct problem issues before they become an impediment to our customer's success.
- Market Dominance
We believe that focusing our resources on target market segments is the key to earning customer loyalty. We will continuously identify and define target customer groups and their requirements, and then earn customer loyalty.
- Employee Empowered
Performance improvement is not possible without the ability for each of us to make, recognize, and learn from mistakes. We believe in stretch goals, thriftiness in all actions, and being accountable for our success. We will strive to be the most respected and admired employer in each of our locations, known for our competitive spirit, leadership, teamwork, fairness, flexibility, skill development, and career opportunities.
- Technology Enabled
The WholeServer's goal is to create a significant competitive advantage. To that end, WholeService requires accurately and consistently communicating vast amounts of information and coordinating large volumes of transactions. To accomplish this task quickly and efficiently, we believe in embracing technology and using it to our customers' advantage.
- Performance Focused
We understand that shareholders make possible the investments required to be a world-class WholeServer. Our responsibility is to provide those shareholders with exceptional long-term results. The shareholder's values are reflected in our mission statement, and we will extend our Wholeserver Pride to our shareholders by conducting business with the highest judgment and integrity.
PAST AND PRESENT
- Carrier: Distributor Trainer of the Year Award, for the 5th consecutive year, 2011
- Blue Hawk Peak Dividend Club 2010
- ACCA: Ohio Distributor of the Year, 2009
- Emerson Signature Award - Distinguished Partner in Growth, 2008
- Blue Hawk One Share 2006
- Carrier - Commercial Sales Top Performance 2006
- In February 2006, "Outstanding Sales Performance" award was presented by Everpure for 2005 Sales.
- The December 2005 issue of NEWS profiled the Peak Performance Award winners for Emerson Climate Technologies' authorized Copeland wholesalers. RSC was noted as a wholesaler fulfilling double-digit sales growth in overall purchases; double-digit sales growth focused product categories; and a successfully implemented company-wide marketing plan for the year.
- The May 2000 Issue of Supply House Times featured an article on The Premier 150, which lists 150 companies by ranking for plumbing & hydronics, industrial PVF and HVAC/R sales. RSC ranked #41 for HVAC/R and #100 overall.
- The July 2000 issue of The Wholesaler captured the 28th Annual Wholesaling 100. RSC was ranked #84, and has consistently ranked in the top 100.
- Carrier: Distinguished Distributor, Residential System Products, 2000
- Carrier: 50 Years of Service, 1999
- Carrier: Exemplary Support of HVAC Vocational Education, 1999: received by six RSC associates
- Carrier: Trainer of the Year Awards, 1996, for outstanding Service Training performance: received by four RSC associates
- Case Western Reserve University, Weatherhead School of Business: Family Business Hall of Fame 1996 Firm of Distinction